Sunday, December 8, 2013

Raanjhanaa

It was the kind of Sunday that I’ve not had for a long time now! I didn’t have anything to do, except for this Ashes test match, the election results and analysis and of course, the India vs South Africa ODI to be followed. And yes, I cancelled this weekend’s FB detox anticipating a “busy” Sunday. I didn’t have a Plan-B for this Sunday as such.
Suddenly, sometime in the afternoon, out of nowhere, I started going through the channel guide of my DTH service provider and my eyes lit up the moment I saw the Hindi flick “Raanjhanaa” was scheduled for a 2 PM screening on one the HD movie channels. The idea of watching a movie on a HD channel, with close to no ad breaks combined with the fact that this was one movie that had good reviews allured me. Dhanush in particular was appreciated by one and all for his performance in this move. So, I decided to dump the election news and the India vs. South Africa ODI for a couple of hours and switched to “Raanjhanaa”, and I’m glad I did!
From the streets of Varanasi to the JNU campus of Delhi, the director superbly captures the milieu on screen, while keeping you engrossed with a reasonably good screenplay. It was refreshing to see an equally important role for the female lead of the movie and Sonam Kapoor doesn’t disappoint in this one. AR Rahman’s BGM was brilliant in certain scenes, especially the one on the banks of the Ganges where he has employed violins a la Illayaraja!
As said in my many previous FB posts/comments, post-Aadukalam, I’ve become a fan of Dhanush. This movie once again proves me why! This guy has some serious talent and he is impressive in each and every frame. He appears as a school boy, as a diehard romeo head over in heels with the heroine and also as a political activist. He is simply brilliant in each of these roles!
A few years ago, if you had told me that I will forsake watching a cricket match and election analysis on TV to watch a Dhanush movie, I would have probably scoffed at you. But, today, I did it without a second thought and I am glad I did it!
Watch Raanjhanaa if you still haven’t. I’m sure you will love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment